Russia

DOJ now says early release of FBI agents’ private texts to reporters was ‘not authorized’ by the department

Jpg” alt=”rod rosenstein” data-mce-source=”REUTERS/Joshua Roberts” data-mce-caption=”Deputy U.S. Attorney General Rod Rosenstein testifies to the House Judiciary Committee hearing on oversight of the Justice Department on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., December 13, 2017.”> Rod Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general, in Washington on Wednesday testifying to the House Judiciary Committee hearing on oversight of the Justice Department. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

    The US Department of Justice says copies of private text messages exchanged between two former special-counsel investigators were disclosed to some members of the media before they were given to Congress.

    According to a DOJ statement, those text messages “were not authorized” for release.


The Department of Justice acknowledged in a statement on Thursday night that copies of private text messages exchanged between two former special-counsel investigators were disclosed to certain members of the media before they were given to Congress, even though those disclosures “were not authorized. ”

“As we understand now, some members of the media had already received copies of the texts before that – but those disclosures were not authorized by the department,” she said.

The texts, many of which expressed disdain for then-candidate Donald Trump, were obtained in July as part of an ongoing investigation by the DOJ’s inspector general into how the FBI handled the inquiry into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server while she was secretary of state.

Join The Conversation

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top